Monday, August 17, 2015

Wall Street Journal Reaction

Recently the Wall Street Journal published a national article about the newspaper in my hometown of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania.  The article described in detail, down to quotes, the absurdity of The Opinion Line, and the fight about people wanting it taken out due to fact that it’s pretty much a free-for-all complaint section. 

I know all about the opinion line, as I said, I grew up in that area.  What I didn’t care for, was the blatant arrogance and disregard to the people of Huntingdon County.  The article made it seem like those from that area marry their cousins, pick their teeth with wheat straws while playing the banjo.  I was appalled.

Let me tell you a little about what I know:
My parents are still together after 35 years of marriage.  They’ve been loyal and faithful through financial hardships, three growing girls, and family tragedies.  My family attends church and afterwards family often gets together for lunch either at someone’s house or at a local restaurant. They give to charities that help religious and humanitarian causes. *Oh the horror!*

Let me tell you about the people of Huntingdon County:
We have beautiful big weddings in churches that are old and full of rich culture or in gorgeous gazebos near breathtaking lakes. We don’t rent those places because those places are our backyard.  

We party too, except we don’t have to leave a club at 2 or 4 a.m. and take a taxi home. We have fields and fire pits that allow our parties to last until dawn.  And you bet there’s corn hole… and don’t knock it until you try it!

My dad has a beautiful outdoor fireplace and outdoor setting he built with his own hands that would make the guys on DIY Network look like they play with Legos. Yeah - I said that.

People around here take care of each other. They know their neighbors, and protect each other’s children. We value family. We value friends. We value our good names.

In Huntingdon County we DO have tons of mountains… beautiful mountains that people travel all around to see. We have a HUGE man-made lake that people travel all around to see. We have parks with real grass, and children are safe to ride their bikes around town together and play.

I’m not sure who this person is from Los Angeles that thought that telling the city folk there are still places in this nation that are all honkey tonk and backwoods.  And there are a few of those (and so what?), but to paint an entire town to sound like we’re people from The Hills Have Eyes is insulting.

Let me tell you what else I know. I graduated from Southern Huntingdon High School – a small school district in Huntingdon County. I graduated with a class size of around 90 kids.  We all know each other and most are still in contact to this day. I hold three, almost 4 degrees – working on my doctorate degree in education currently.  I am a college director with a great school. I belong to several well-respected organizations throughout several counties. I am changing lives thanks to this little county.  And I’m not the exception to this either.

IN A NUTSHELL

I’m not ashamed to say I love looking at the mountains when I wake up instead of skyscrapers. 

I love taking my hot cup of coffee out on my porch, that I own, instead of waiting in line and drinking it on a crowded subway.

I love smelling fresh air instead of pollution and smog.  

I love backyard bon-fires, enjoying a Miller Lite, and wearing flip flops until it snows.  

I’m not ashamed to be from Huntingdon County. In fact, I'm super proud to be from this area.

What I AM ashamed of is the author of that article. I'm not letting some snobbish city slicker knock on this beautiful area without him realizing how wonderful it is to be from Huntingdon County. 

With all due respect, sir: You can take your article and shove it. 

*marissa* 

No comments:

Post a Comment